All three locomotives were donated to the city of Portland in 1958. For decades the Southern Pacific 4449, the Spokane, Portland & Seattle 700, and the Oregon Railway & Navigation 197 sat in the weather at Oaks Amusement Park. Starting in 1974 each moved for restoration to the Brooklyn Roundhouse in southeast Portland. It took three decades and thousands of volunteer hours for Portland to be the only city in the U.S. to own two operating steam locomotives, with the third currently under restoration. Both the SP 4449 and SP&S 700 are part of the rare group of the six largest steam locomotives operating in the world today.